The Board Leadership Forum, run in partnership with Deloitte, is a unique peer network of board chairs and lead directors of public and private corporations that meets twice per year to engage on the distinctive challenges and opportunities they face. Chairs and lead directors now have a more important role than ever. Activist shareholders, challenging economies, geopolitical changes, and other disparate forces have placed the traditional boardroom model under siege. The Board Leadership Forum offers a place for chairs and lead directors to work through those challenges with, and learn from, their distinguished peers. Sessions of the Forum are designed to be interactive, encouraging robust discussion among the group and with the influential guests invited to discuss the latest issues, research, trends and perspectives on topics most relevant to today’s board leaders.
Recent sessions have featured discussions on:
- Former Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court, Leo E. Strine, Jr., provided his advice for boards today based on 21 years of experience on the bench.
- The Business Roundtable’s “Statement on the Purpose of a Corporation” – Where do We Go from Here?: a discussion with Maria Ghazal of the Business Roundtable and Holly Gregory of Sidley Austin
- ESG – Perspectives from an Investor, Board Director, and Chief Governance Officer: an insightful fireside chat with Michelle Edkins (BlackRock) and Peggy Foran (Prudential)
- The rise of private markets and implications for public companies: a discussion with Jim Millstein, co-chairman of Guggenheim Securities, and Eric Talley, co-director of Millstein Center for Global Markets and Corporate Ownership
- Culture, leadership, and activism: an interactive workshop with peer-group discussion
- An activist’s perspective: a fireside chat with Nelson Peltz, CEO of Trian Partners and Theresa Whitmarsh, Executive Director of the Washington State Investment Board
The next session of the Forum will be held on November 12, 2020 (location TBD).
Board Leadership Forum Virtual Series
In response to the many questions we have received from the Board Leadership Forum community amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, we are adapting how we keep this peer group engaged on timely and important topics in the immediate future.
To that end, alongside Deloitte, we are hosting one-hour briefings/moderated peer discussions on a periodic basis, during which board leaders can share practices they are employing to deal with the crisis and engage in discussion about the most pressing issues boards are facing today.
March 31, 2020
Our first virtual briefing was held on Tuesday, March 31 from Noon – 1pm ET. Our founder, Ira Millstein, started the session share his wisdom and perspectives on governance in this unprecedented time in an interview with Janet Foutty, US Executive Chair of the Board, Deloitte. Dr. Randolph Gordon, an experienced physician, former Health Commissioner for the Commonwealth of Virginia, and public health leader of Deloitte’s preparedness and response to pandemics, then shared the latest information and perspectives on the COVID-19 pandemic.
You can find Janet's write up of the session, distilling the wisdom shared by Ira, here.
April 21, 2020
On Tuesday, April 21 from Noon - 1pm ET, David Nierenberg, Board Leadership Forum Co-Chair and Millstein Center Advisory Board Chair, hosted a moderated discussion on executive and director compensation with Tara Tays, Deloitte Consulting’s compensation workstream leader.
Next Session - June 15, 2020
Our next virtual session on Monday, June 15 from 1-2pm ET will feature a peer discussion on key risks in the context of reopening of business and the role board leaders should play.
If you are a board chair or lead director that is interested in joining the Board Leadership Forum, or for more information, please contact the Center's Assistant Director, Brea Hinricks, at firstname.lastname@example.org.